As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, communities across Appalachia are banding together to pool resources and ideas for resilience. Here’s an inspiring example:
The U.S Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Farmers to Families Food Box Program involves directly purchasing fruits, vegetables, dairy products, and meat products for food banks, community organizations, and other non-profits serving communities in need. Through this program, farms and food enterprises in Appalachian Alabama, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina are addressing community food insecurity.
Congratulations to these enterprises for their work:
- Forestwood Farm Inc., Birmingham, AL.
- Regional Produce Distributors, Birmingham, AL.
- T&T Produce, Ringgold, GA.
- Marburger Farm Dairy, Evans City, PA.
- Paragon Wholesale Foods, Warrenda, PA.
- Taylor Boys Produce, Enoree, SC.