The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Office of Minority Health (CMS OMH) continues to address health care needs of rural, tribal, and geographically isolated communities through the CMS Framework for Advancing Health Care in Rural, Tribal, and Geographically Isolated Communities. Learn more about our latest activities below.
Beginning in November 2023, CMS OMH hosted four roundtables with organizations that serve rural, Tribal, Pacific, and Caribbean communities to hear their feedback about health care challenges for Americans living in these areas. Participants discussed the need to address workforce shortages, communication barriers, and received specific research data for their populations. CMS OMH will use the feedback to inform future outreach strategies.
CMS OMH has released two new reports focused on health care disparities among Americans who live in rural, tribal, and geographically isolated communities since November 2023, including:
- The Rural-Urban Disparities in Health Care in Medicare report, which found rural Medicare Advantage beneficiaries fell below the national average of clinical care measures, such as Prevention and Screening, in the Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) survey.
- The Advancing Health Equity in Rural, Tribal, and Geographically Isolated Communities FY2023 Year in Review report, which outlined the FY 2023 CMS actions and initiatives aimed to enhance health care access and quality for rural, tribal, and geographically isolated communities, including the CMS Health Equity Framework and CMS Framework for Advancing Health Care in Rural, Tribal, and Geographically Isolated Communities.
New Video: Coverage to Care (C2C) in Rural Areas
In December 2023, CMS OMH released a video titled, “Coverage to Care Community Connections Tour with Rural and Geographically Isolated Areas” that highlights the distribution of C2C resources in rural and Tribal communities to help Americans connect to their health care coverage. The video features Dawson County Family Partners and Servicios de La Raza. Visit go.cms.gov/c2c to learn more about C2C, the tour, and access materials.
Stay Informed, Connected, and Engaged
CMS OMH is here to support you every step of the way. You can reach out to us anytime at RuralHealth@cms.hhs.gov or sign up for our listserv at bit.ly/CMSOMH to receive timely updates directly to your inbox. CMS OMH encourages you to utilize the Health Equity Technical Assistance Program, offering personalized coaching and resources to start your journey toward promoting health equity within your organizations. For assistance, contact HealthEquityTA@cms.hhs.gov. mailto:RuralHealth@cms.hhs.gov
- CMS Rural and Geographic Health webpage
- CMS Framework for Advancing Health Care in Rural, Tribal, and Geographically Isolated Communities
- Advancing Rural Maternal Health Equity Report
- Roadmap to Better Care, which is available in nine languages and includes a Tribal Version specific to American Indian/Alaska Native communities.
- CMS Cross Cutting Initiative – Rural Health
- CMS Announces New Model to Advance Integration in Behavioral Health
- Rural Health Clinics Center
- Rural Health Information Hub