The Pennsylvania Department of Health issued an update on COVID-19 Vaccine Second Dose Administration and Timing. The updated alert highlights the following:
- Persons receiving the second dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine should follow the recommended scheduling as closely as possible.
- DOH and CDC recommend receiving the same vaccine product at both vaccinations.
- If it is not feasible to adhere to the recommended interval for any reason, including vaccine availability, the second dose may be administered up to 6 weeks after the first dose.
- Every effort should be made to complete the vaccine series using the same vaccine product.
- If the first dose product cannot be determined or is unavailable, any available mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at a minimum interval of 28 days between doses.
- If two doses of different mRNA vaccine products are administered for any reason, no additional doses are recommended at this time.
- The discordant doses should be noted on the person’s vaccination card.
Click here to access 2021 Health Alerts and Advisories.