Quality Improvement Resources
Pennsylvania Office of Rural Health
The Medicare Beneficiary Quality Improvement Project (MBQIP) is a quality improvement activity under the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy’s (FORHP) Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility (Flex) grant program. MBQIP provides an opportunity for individual hospitals to look at their own data, compare their results against other CAHs and partner with other hospitals around quality improvement initiatives to improve outcomes and provide the highest quality care to each and every one of their patients.
The Quality Improvement Implementation Guide and Toolkit for Critical Access Hospitals guide provides basic directions and resources for conducting and streamlining quality improvement projects in rural hospitals, with a particular focus on MBQIP. The guide and toolkit includes:
- A quality improvement implementation model focused on small, rural hospital settings
- Suggestions and considerations for identifying and prioritizing areas for improvement
- A table detailing key national quality initiatives that align with MBQIP priorities, including links to external websites for further information (Appendix B)
- A ten step guide to leading quality improvement topics
- An internal monitoring tool to assist with tracking and displaying MBQIP and other quality and patient safety measures
- A list of acronyms related to MBQIP measures (Appendix C)
- -Summaries of current MBQIP measures by domain including best practices for improvement (Appendix D)
- A glossary of key words with definitions. Throughout the document key words are hyperlinked so the reader is able to click on the word and go directly to the glossary
Read More from StratisHealth and access the Quality Improvement Implementation Guide and Toolkit for Critical Access Hospitals.
- Quality Improvement, a PowerPoint by Lannette Johnston, MS, BSN, RN, CHC, Quality Improvement Coordinator, Pennsylvania Office of Rural Health
- Assembling a Blueprint for Quality: A Rural Hospital Guide to Performance Improvement and Frameworks for Success, a PowerPoint by Terry Hill, Executive Director, National Rural Health Resource Center
- 2018 Critical Access Hospital National Patient Safety Goals