Office of Rural Health
A Federal, State, and Pennsylvania
State University Partnership
The Pennsylvania Office of Rural Health (PORH) was formed in 1991 as a partnership between the federal government, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and The Pennsylvania State University. The office is one of 50 state offices of rural health in the nation funded through the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy under the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Pennsylvania Department of Health. The state offices of rural health are charged with being a source of coordination, technical assistance, and networking; partnership development; and assisting in the recruitment and retention of health care providers.
PORH provides expertise in the areas of rural health, agricultural health & safety, oral health, and community & economic development.
To enhance the health status of rural Pennsylvanians and ensure that rural residents have access to high-quality, affordable health care.
To be recognized as the premier rural leadership and information organization in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and to be one of the most effective state offices of rural health in the nation.
Our Services: Technical Assistance, Advocacy, Outreach, and Applied Research
The services of the Pennsylvania Office of Rural Health include:
- Over 400 technical assistance encounters each year to individuals, organizations, and communities regarding funding opportunities, program development, referrals, rural health information, and more
- Conferences and workshops on issues relevant to rural health care providers
- Rural health advocacy in the state and nationwide
- Administration of the Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility program and other small rural hospital programs
- Applied research in the field of Rural Health
- Compliance assistance to agricultural producers on safe pesticide use
- Pennsylvania Rural Health magazine and social media outreach
Our State and Federal Partners
PORH collaborates with many public and private health agencies including the following:
- Pennsylvania Department of Health
- Pennsylvania Rural Health Association
- Center for Rural Pennsylvania
- Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Association of Community Health Centers
- Pennsylvania Coalition for Oral Health
- Pennsylvania Area Health Education Center
- Pennsylvania Rural Partners
- Federal Office of Rural Health Policy
- National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health
- National Rural Health Association